News Move over Godzilla... GAMERA'S BACK!

Discussion in 'Kaiju News and Rumors' started by The Great MM, Mar 12, 2014.

1. The Great MM

The Great MM THE Moderator Staff Member

Now I do not have any REAL details, according to this Japanese website and its translation, Gamera is coming back in a reboot film. While Godzilla is going Hollywood, it seems Gammy will remain Japanese.

KPA!? AUGUST!? SOMEONE!? We could use a little clarification, here!
  2. Excelsior

Excelsior Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Don't toy with me, MM.
  3. The Great MM

I'm not.

From the translation of the details given:

4. the Godzilla Guru

the Godzilla Guru Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

Didn't even know that there were inquiries about a Gamera reboot. Isn't Hakaider that roboman from the same guy that made the Zeiram films?
  5. The Great MM

Yeah. He's originally from a Japanese TV show called Kikaider. Hakaider was originally his main baddie, or something, and the film is a spinoff.
    the Godzilla Guru likes this.
  6. the Godzilla Guru

the Godzilla Guru Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

Cool. Also got the same translation from the link. Wonder how they'll handle this reboot.
  7. Sidian Lazarus

Sidian Lazarus Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

lol PREDICTED IT! gammy's 50th is next year and it would be hard to not let him have a birthday bash....

whatever they do it needs to be more heisei gamera and less gamera the brave...or else dont expect the turtle to fare too well again.
  8. Zigra

Zigra Rubber Space Shark

From what I've been told, Gamera 3, despite all the hype and critical acclaim it received, didn't do much much better than Gamera the Brave at the Japanese box office. That, coupled with the fact that Japanese audiences still seem to be tired of kaiju films (even Pacific Rim didn't do to well in Japan), means that emulating the Heisei Gamera films won't necessarily guarantee this movie being a success.

I'm not really sure what I want from this movie. I seem to be one of those few who liked Gamera the Brave better than the Heisei Gamera movies, but I don't see them following that movie's path after its poor box office showing:(
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. Sidian Lazarus

Sidian Lazarus Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

you may be right about G3 to be honest im not positive myself, however i wish i could agree with your feelings about GTB...i REALLY wanted to like that movie...this is coming from someone who even loves the showa series of films...and it had a couple nice moments but most of it i just couldnt stomach...the first 5 minutes was the best part of the film in my eyes...
  10. alienhulk2099

alienhulk2099 Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

11. SuperXAsh

SuperXAsh Neo Kaiju Forum Master

well... i hope they do a good job. Gamera the Brave wasn't bad... but was kinda missing the edge the Heisei series has
  12. Avery Guerra

Avery Guerra Kaijuphile News Contact

I can confirm it. I just my got gal pal Yuki[from Legendary's "Godzilla"] to properly translate it so there's no confusion and she says that yes they are planning a new film for 2015 the 50th. anniversary!!

UPDATE:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-12/new-gamera-project-listed-by-retailer

Now to get it out to the news sites!! Oh happy day!!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Kevzilla

Kevzilla Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

It sounds to me like it might be a book of some sort. anyway cool to hire that Gamera is coming back.
  14. beastfromosaka

beastfromosaka Ultra Kaiju Master

I hope this is more than just a rumor, but I do have my doubts.
  15. Orga777

Orga777 Boo Staff Member

Well... hopefully it won't suck like the Showa movies. That is all we can really hope for. XD
  16. sethasaurusrexx68

sethasaurusrexx68 Kaiju Forum Master

Yep, I to claimed, they would bring Gamera back fresh off the heat of the the new G-film
  17. DinoGeekProductions

DinoGeekProductions Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

I could always go for more kaiju movies that don't suck.
  18. beastfromosaka

beastfromosaka Ultra Kaiju Master

Guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed the Showa movies, mainly for their campiness. but still. lol
  19. DinoGeekProductions

DinoGeekProductions Mecha Kaiju Forum Master

Nonsense! I love me some Gamera vs. Guiron action!
    beastfromosaka likes this.
  20. Orga777

Orga777 Boo Staff Member

.... SO painful to sit through... DX