Gamera's upcoming 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Daiei & Gamera Discussion' started by KingKaiju, Sep 26, 2013.

1. KingKaiju

KingKaiju Kaiju Forum Adept

I recently listened to the new Skreeonk Podcast, which is AWESOME I have to say, and in their most recent episode, they brought up Gamera's 50th Anniversary. Now, it got me thinking. Obviously Gamera isn't Godzilla, regardless of how much we hardcore fans love him, he simply just doesn't bring in the attention from the mass that Godzilla does. Having said that, does anyone else think it would be absolutely SICK if they brought him back??? Perhaps I've just romanticized the Heisei series, because the last Gamera was god awful, but does anyone know if there are any plans or hints for Gamera to come back in any shape or form? Even if it's just for one movie?
    devil leon x likes this.
  2. DinoGeekProductions

DinoGeekProductions Ultra Kaiju Master

I would love to see another Gamera, but I don't know that one is in the works. Yoshimitsu Banno mentioned doing a 40 minute theater special, but I don't think anything came of that. Good thing, too. Banno wanted to use the OLD idea for Godzilla 3-D. The one with a new smog monster, and what's more, he threw in Son Goku into the last iteration.
  3. kpa

kpa Kaiju Forum Master

GAMERA THE BRAVE (which I liked) bombed at the Japanese box office. Based on that, and the poor box office of the last few daikaiju films, Kadokawa Pictures hasn't been in a rush to make another one. They may consider doing one for the 50th anniversary, though I wouldn't count on it... FINAL WARS tanked on Godzilla's 50th so an anniversary alone isn't much of a motivator. Most likely Kadokawa will do what Toho did for Mothra's 50th: a film festival on Tokyo.

The first GAMERA came out in late November 1965 so we're more than 2 years away from the actual anniversary. Even if Kadokawa were planning something like a new film it's much too early for them to announce it. I wouldn't expect any announcements until early 2015 or so.
  4. the Godzilla Guru

the Godzilla Guru Ultra Kaiju Master

...WHAT!?!?!? Son Goku? Really?? I guess it kinda makes sense considering Gamera's cameo in the original Dragonball anime, but I can't imagine how they'd make it work. Who knows, it might actually work.

I was a little surprised how much I ended up liking GAMERA THE BRAVE myself. Didn't even realize that Mothra had a film festival celebrating her 50th anniversary, but can't say I'm too surprised. Always had trouble watching the Rebirth of Mothra films, but they did have some interesting concepts and monsters (also one of the best looks for King Ghidorah ever). I hope they do make a new Gamera in the near future, and hopefully in a way that takes the best from each series and make it work in a new film series.
    devil leon x likes this.
  5. DinoGeekProductions

DinoGeekProductions Ultra Kaiju Master

^Son Goku, in this instance I believe, would have been the figure from Chinese myth. Not the popular Dragon Ball Z character, but it is still incredibly inappropriate.
  6. the Godzilla Guru

Oh. Well...that would make a little more sense. Sometimes I wonder if Banno knows what he's doing. While Hedorah is not my favorite of Godzilla's Greatest Foes, he's certainly earned his place among them.
  7. kpa

kpa Kaiju Forum Master

We ran a report on the festival on SciFi Japan...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011/08/17/five-decades-of-graceful-destruction/
    the Godzilla Guru likes this.
  8. the Godzilla Guru

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. Saruman

Saruman Administrator Staff Member

Yes that would be Keith (kpa).
  10. the Godzilla Guru

Oh, WOW! I wondered if that was him. Thanks kpa, for creating ScifiJapan. Your site is one the first sites I visit when I get online. Great site.
  11. devil leon x

devil leon x Kaiju Forum Master

I would love to see Gamera return! Every sense I saw him for the first time I fell in love with the Giant Turtle that could kick ass Godzilla style! Not to mention the fact he turned into a flying Saucer made it more awesome!

I think if they did it would likely have to be very serious via ancient advance technology like Heisei series. Perhaps they could Make Gamera a Alien that was created to help protect civilizations that needed help fighting off threats we are equipped to deal with by some higher raced beings??
    KingEdgeman likes this.
  12. devil leon x

I remember hearing about a 50th anniversary short film for Gamera that was gonna be in 3d coming out in 2012, then it wash pushed back to this year and now next...I forget where it might have been a forum perhaps... I have been searching the web but cannot find anything regarding it...I think it was just a fan spreading a wishful but false rumor!
  13. Zigra

Zigra Rubber Space Shark

Yeah, that was reported at this forum as well. I have no idea what became of the project, or even if it was for real.
  14. Hybrid Gojira

Hybrid Gojira I am not my own

^I don't quite recall that, but it would be kinda cool.

I really liked the Gamera Trilogy. I've only seen bits and pieces of Gamera: The Brave.
    devil leon x and beastfromosaka like this.
  15. KingEdgeman

KingEdgeman Kaiju Forum Acolyte

I've actually just watched the entire Gamera trilogy and can say that I hope they do something for the big turtle's 50th.
    devil leon x likes this.
  16. beastfromosaka

beastfromosaka Ultra Kaiju Master

Gamera the Brave is awesome. Not sure if Best Buy is selling it, but I would think Amazon would have it.
  17. devil leon x

Amazon indeed has it! I kind of wish they release on blu ray but likely not much demand for it....
  18. KingEdgeman

devil leon x likes this.
  19. devil leon x

20. KingEdgeman

You're right there is a Mega Man influence in my name. It's a ranking name I borrowed from the Mega Man Zero series, but it was originally "Edgeboy" so I just changed it to Edgeman, and the King part just makes it sound cool IMO. Now you know my darkest secret.
    devil leon x likes this.